Sunday, April 20, 2014

Insanity by Lauren Hammond

INSANITY
Asylum #1
Author: Lauren Hammond
Publication Date: 05/08/2012
Audience: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary, Suspense, Romance
 
Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn’t be more opposite.

Adelaide’s mother abandoned her when she was ten years old, leaving her to be raised by her abusive and alcoholic father.

Damien on the other hand came from a wealthy family, was a local celebrity, and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him.

Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, and fiercely in love.

And they had a plan.

They were going to run away.

Be together forever.

And their plan was set in motion, until tragedy struck and for some reason, Adelaide wound up in The Oakhill Institution for the insane.

Adelaide has no idea what she did to wind up at Oakhill, but she knows one thing for sure...

She wants out.

And after Damien follows her there to aid her in escaping, Adelaide slowly begins putting together the pieces of her memory that are missing.

And it doesn’t take Adelaide long to figure out that sometimes...

That one true love never dies.

Warning:Do not read if you have a weak heart.
 
Picture and Summary from Goodreads
 
 
 
REVIEW
 
My thoughts on this book are still a little jumbled. Insanity is a fast read with a storyline that makes it easy to keep readers guessing and turning the pages. During the entire book I was dying to know what the truth was, we are given small clues to point us towards the truth but yet there were things that had me second guessing what I thought was reality. It is really easy to connect with the main character and I instantly feel defensive of her when she has flashbacks involving her abusive dad.

As for romance, I really didn't get attached to Damien and Adelaide's relationship. We never really get to see them interact or connect. We just know that they love each other because Adelaide tells us so. Also in the middle of the book it seems like the author decided she was going to make this for mature audiences and threw half a dozen sex scenes into the mix. Now don't get me wrong, they weren't done in bad taste, I just felt by that point that it wasn't necessary for the story. The book felt like it wasn't even going in that direction when BAM sex scenes, pretty much one after another.

There were a few instances where the plot didn't meet up correctly and there were quite a few grammatical issues, BUT my biggest problem with the book is that it is being stretched into a series. I really feel like it would have been better for the author to make it a bigger book and finish the story off at the end, it just doesn't seem like series material. Though I will probably read the next books because I am left curious about what Adelaide's true story is.

Overall I enjoyed Insanity but I am left with a LOT of questions.
 
3.5 Stars
 
 
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble

2 comments:

  1. At first it kind of reminded me of Ultraviolet by R.J Anderson, though it is totally different, but kind of has the same vibe. Sounds like a great mystery (and really, I kind of love the asylum ones) but the one thing I hate about NA is the thing of Oh, this is NA, so it has to have sex scenes. See, I don't mind it but you can have a NA without that, and when it's there randomly it just kind of feels like it's there because of that. Argh. Haha, at least it's still a 3.5! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt about the sex scenes...like it was an afterthought! Totally not necessary.

      Delete

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...