Monday, April 28, 2014

In The Shadow Of Blackbirds by Cat Winters

IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS
Author: Cat Winters
Publication Date: 04/02/2013
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal, Mystery

In 1918, the world seems on the verge of apocalypse. Americans roam the streets in gauze masks to ward off the deadly Spanish influenza, and the government ships young men to the front lines of a brutal war, creating an atmosphere of fear and confusion. Sixteen-year-old Mary Shelley Black watches as desperate mourners flock to séances and spirit photographers for comfort, but she herself has never believed in ghosts. During her bleakest moment, however, she’s forced to rethink her entire way of looking at life and death, for her first love—a boy who died in battle—returns in spirit form. But what does he want from her?

Featuring haunting archival early-twentieth-century photographs, this is a tense, romantic story set in a past that is eerily like our own time.
 
Picture and Summary from Goodreads
 
 
REVIEW
 
 
This was an amazing read. I must be truthful and say that I knew nothing about the era this book is written during but find myself totally interested in learning more about it now.

Cat Winters did an excellent job in making the characters and community feel real. I could really sense the feelings of suspicion and the sheer terror of death lurking around every corner. Due to the war and the spanish influenza people trust no one yet put all their faith into "spirit advisors and photographers". It's just crazy to think about wearing masks all the time, eating and bathing in onions in hopes of warding off the flu, and to think that part isn't fiction, it really happened. The pictures that were added to the book really gave me a glimpse into what everything looked like, made it feel all that more real. It really added a spooky element to the story.

The story is an intense ride that follows the MC along as she tries to help her lover boy come to terms with a horrible truth. I was dying in suspense wondering what was really going on and hoping beyond hope that it would end happily.

In the Shadow of Blackbirds was a different read than what I'm used to but I'm happy to say that I loved it.
 

 
 
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this one! Ugh, I love Cat Winters so much for writing books! I can't wait to get my hands on her next one! Great review, Stacey!

    Sabrina @ I Heart Y.A. Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...