Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
(Picture and Summary from Goodreads)
 
 
 
 
 
It happened at night. I woke to the sound of the wind blowing my curtains back. I opened my eyes but saw nothing. Not even moonlight. Not even shadow.
And in the morning, the window was closed.  A feather rested on the floor beneath it, the only reminder that I'd woken up in the night at all.  In the shadow, I couldn't tell if it was light --- or dark.
-Excerpt from A Beautiful Dark
 
 
REVIEW
 
So normally I'm not in to love triangles.  I just hate having to choose sides and I hate when I've chosen a side but the main character keeps going back and forth causing me to have anxiety attacks.  Buuut I put that aside and read A Beautiful Dark anyways.  Really the way it's set up I didn't feel too much like Skye was torn between the two.  To me it seemed like she was obviously into Asher and was just at moments confused by Devin and his attitude.  Of course that could also be because right now I am Team Asher, which actually surprised me because going into it I was for sure I would be Team Devin. 
 
The story is well developed and moves along at a decent pace.  I loved Skye's little group of friends; Cassie, Dan, and Ian.  We can tell pretty much from the start that Cassie and Dan have some chemistry going on and I must admit that I feel a little badly for Ian; part of me wished Skye would of had more feelings for him.   I was disappointed that Skye put her friendships and schooling on hold when Asher and Devin entered the picture, I hope that she realizes that's not the way to be in the next book. 
 
There were plenty of moments where I found myself laughing and other times when I was desperately turning the pages to find out what would happen next, there was never a dull moment.  I am eager to start the next book, lucky for me it's on my shelf right now!  I highly recommend you check it out or buy it before reading the first one, otherwise you may die of anticipation.
 


 
A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
 

 

1 comment:

  1. I loved that this made you laugh, and understand your feelings towards triangles. I love them and hate them, I always end up feeling bad for the loser, but I am a romantic at heart.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...